MediaCity Uk is the biggest media development in Europe in the last 25 years
nmp has been involved in its development from 2004 until the present day. Our original engagement was a feasibility study on behalf of the bbc with regard to the potential benefits and risks of movin 5 key commissioners and 2,500 staff, including world class Sports and Future media and technology departments out of London and North to Manchester/Salford.
We then managed the bid process on behalf of the Manchester consortium including putting together a team of key advisors including architects, planning and property advisors, M&E consultants, technical studio advisers, ICT vendors including Siemens, IBM, BT and developed the legal structure for the innovative operating model with the key stakeholders and legal advisers.
- We developed the vision for the Manchester bid.
- We sourced best of breed vendors and developed the ICt business model for the Manchester site including requirements for the data centres and shared software services.
- In partnership with specialist advisers we undertook a feasibility study in to the technical requirements of the studio block and recommended that the BBC's requirements were over specified and that savings of £20 million could be achieved, whilst delivering a solution that was fit for purpose
- We have recently developed the vision and the business model and secured the £multi-million finance for the Media Enterprise Centre - a 55,000sq ft centre with 5 key components to provide affordable accommodation for high growth companies and drive skills development and growth in the talent pool
- nmp developed the business model and secured the £multi-million funding for the Digital Content Lab - a ground breaking initiative to broker deals between micro-businesses and global techmedia companies such as BBC, Nokia, Orange, Sony and others
- Developed a target list of prospective tenants
MediaCity Uk is now being perceived as "the place to go" for people to live and for companies that are interested in innovation in the media sector. This is underlined by the high number of London-based BBC executives who have signed up to relocate to Manchester/Salford.